At one point in its earliest days all the land of San Angelo was owned by a Jewish developer. Since that time Jews have figured prominently in the commercial life of the city and the region. (L. P. Ray, Leon Fine, Nathan Stool, Dave Goldman, and others participate in the 1928 groundbreaking. The building was dedicated on March 24, 1929.)
The basic building is typical of the pre-WWII era and very
similar in structure to Laredo.
What they lack in specialized function rooms common to the modern "complex" they make up in intimacy and clarity of design.
The light in the upstairs sanctuary is especially beautiful at sunrise and sunset during the equinoctical periods of the year. Communal Yom Kippur break-fasts were often held in the basement social hall; the tempting smells usually wafted up around three o'clock in the afternoon.
Past and present residents discuss the history of the town
amidst current renovation and repair. Although no qualified minyan
has gathered here for years, services are still held even if only
one person shows up.